Monday 17 September 2012

Gloria Wonders Whether Or Not She Should Change Her Perceptions

 
 ...Perceptions about what? Is it the obvious, with the poster on the wall next to her, or something else? Why is she standing there with that look on her face? Is she waiting for someone, or something? What is in that large leather handbag? What building does that wall belong to?
 
I'm not sure how this lady materialised exactly, but I had been watching a documentary about the life of the amazing Frida (Khalo), and feeling very emotional and motivated and was wanting some Mexican linen (you know, with the white lace and the embroidered bright, happy colours), then she appeared out of the blue (not Frida - this Gloria character), fully formed in my mind and ready to be painted. I find that when characters appear like that, I have to paint them straight away, or it feels as though there's a pressure building up in my mind, then I overthink the image and it gets all confused and distorted, as though it has begun to turn to rot. That sounds horrible and rather melodramatic doesn't it?  Anyway, I feel very lucky that I have the chance in most cases to put these little people onto canvas, pure and fresh from my imagination (or wherever they come from)...which reminds me of author of 'Eat, Pray, Love' - Elizabeth Gilbert's TED talk. Where does our inspiration come from? I've shared that video around about a million times, so apologies if you have seen it before, but I think about it a lot these days!
 
I have a thing for red polkadot things at the moment, but am trying not to hoard examples of it all over the house - which would be fine for Amelia and myself, but Rob isn't such a great fan, but he's a boy, so he can't be expected to understand it, I guess.

 
You can find Gloria, right here on Etsy! Thank you Martha, for the name suggestion - it suits her to a T!
 
xxx

2 comments:

  1. My pleasure :) She's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo - you're my first comment on this blog ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete